With paint colors selected, we’ve begun prepping the upstairs for paint. J has been hard at work sanding and patching all the walls and ceilings. The textured celings look much improved with just a slight sanding. They look less dirty – J says the “dirt” was really shadows from extra texture and with it all softened the shadows aren’t so dark. Little L’s room had quite a few pinholes to spackle – I’m assuming a love of posters might be at play here.
After a long day, a dust-covered J finished up the bedrooms and now we are set to paint. Bath vanities still need power sanding so we’ll probably hold of on actually painting until afterward so our freshly painted walls don’t get covered in vanity dust.
With little L spending the day with auntie, J and I got to tackle a variety of jobs around the house. We also spend a fair amount of time in Home Depot, which is unsurprisingly easier without a restless toddler around.
Floors, Paint Prep
As first time DIYers we are bound to forget some things. First item on that list: we forgot to protect the floors we are not replacing. After noticing a few scratches and a nice little chip, I made a point of protecting the flooring before any further work. It’s fairly affordable — $10 for tape and $20 for paper — and really easy. I was a bit sloppy with it but it still gets the job done. Bonus: we’ll need to cover the floors anyway to paint.
While we’re not quite ready to begin painting, I petitioned J to pick out bedroom paints today. 1) It’s a nice change of pace to improve the place instead of destroy stuff and 2) one less thing off my mind. Since you never quite know what paint will actually look like on the walls, we bought a couple samples for each room. J and I have our favorites, but please, comment with your favorite!
Oddly enough, the original colors of the kids rooms are what I had in mind anyway just a bit brighter and bolder.
Miss L’s Room
From the beginning, I was not a fan of the black shutters against the white/cream siding. It seemed harsh and ugly. We removed the shutters last week to see if we should get rid of them altogether or just switch up the colors. Without the shutters, the house looked a bit blah so we’ve decided to keep but update the color. J and I are both a fan of the new blue siding trend for exteriors. We are not going to replace the siding, so we thought we’d try blue shutters. I painted a couple today and it’s going to look great! The blue adds a good amount of color and it really pops with the orange-brown rock (which I actually do like; odd, I know, since most people are moving away from that lovely ’70s rock).
Obviously the shutter is not staying there, but I still have a little paint to touch-up and the other four to go. But I’m excited to get them on the house to see the transformation!
Bonus Update: Opening the Entryway
J and I couldn’t agree on just how far to open-up the entryway. After taking each wall back one stud I suggested we sleep on it before making a decision/trying to compromise. After talking it over with family, we thought it worth it to remove the drywall to the furthest extreme we would go and just take a look. Turns out, it looks pretty damn good! So here’s a couple “during pictures”. Check out the original entryway post to see the “before” entryway — closet and all. It feels wide open and so much bigger. The whole house has kind of opened up.