Super Active Sunday

Last Sunday was crazy busy.  We had all hands on deck!  There was the usual: me, J, little L, my mother-in-law S.  Then my sister and her husband came by, S & B.  Then a family friend, R.  So we had a full house and everyone was put to work.  And yes, watching miss L counts as work/helping with the house.  Here’s a quick rundown of some of the bigger, more interesting things accomplished:

1. Mudroom/Laundry area was prepped and painted. The same blue-tinted white as the main entryway, Frost (Behr), since it is also an entryway.

PHOTO_20170910_185217

2. Pantry cabinet was painted. This cabinet is not technically in the kitchen but we wanted it to tie into the kitchen rather than the mudroom/laundry area.  We decided to use paint to make that distinction – it is now the same color as the upper kitchen cabinets.

PHOTO_20170910_185209

3. Entryway was drywalled.  With the electrical rerouted and tucked away, it was time to put up the drywall.  You can read more about the entryway progress over here.

PHOTO_20170910_183254

4. Lower kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts were painted.  This was the main task for Sunday, but when everyone decided to make an appearance it became just one of the many tasks. Yay! We were able to borrow a paint sprayer from my MIL’s neighbor.  We set up a little spray booth in the garage and J went at it.  Two coats on the back, flipped over, two coats on the front.  We painted the backs first on purpose so that when they were flipped if they weren’t 100% cured any smudges would be on the back/inside the cabinet where it wouldn’t matter as much.

Getting a sprayer was hands down the best decision we’ve made throughout this whole renovation.  It cut the paint time by a quarter (or more!) and resulted in a smooth, even finish.

20170910_161128
The spray booth
20170910_161140
Inside the spray booth, half the fronts still drying.

 

20170910_161500
All the fronts, transferred inside to finish drying & curing in a more controlled environment (e.g. fewer bugs and less dirt).

J has been hard at work all this week so the updates will just keep on rolling in!  In the next couple weeks, we should be able to post the first few final before & afters, from start to finish.  I’m excited to see the side-by-side photos once things start coming together!

Advertisements

Tile finds, part 2

Being the holiday weekend we kind of took a break. Plus we’ve reached a lull in the work schedule where we are mostly waiting for professionals (electricians, plumbers, carpeting, etc). We did go back to Floor & Decor to get some budget tile.

If you remember from our first journey there, they have clearance and bargain tile that is essentially cheaper than linoleum. So the old linoleum instead of replacing with new linoleum will now be tile. I’m excited to see how it all looks redone and upgraded.

Here’s the kitchen, mudroom, half bath tile. We went with a light gray. Light since the existing laminate floor is dark and gray so that it 1) ties in with all the wall colors we’ve picked out and 2) is neutral enough to go with anything else should we decide to repaint.

The kids bath linoleum wasn’t terrible but it could stand to be replaced, and with tile so discounted we went for it. A plain white since we’ll be playing with vanity and wall colors in a small area – really need something white to off set it.

Now just comes the hard labor of tiling all those floors. But we think it will be well worth it. Til next time!