Paint: Main Floor

With the upper floor painting complete (or nearly, we still have doors and base & case to paint), we move on to the main floor.

Paint Prep

If you recall from Base & Case Main Floor, we removed the chair rail from the former-dining-room-now-playroom.  One, because the chair rail was installed poorly which made the whole house look bad.  Two, as a playroom, chair rail was a little formal.

When J tackled this room, the chair rail took with it a good portion of paint and drywall.  It was suggested that we bite the bullet and simply re-install chair rail rather than deal with all the patching which most likely would end up showing through the fresh paint anyway.  We looked at a few pics on Pinterest and decided a chair rail the same color as the wall would be one way to dress-down a chair rail.  However, in the end, J wanted to at least attempt a repair.  So here we are:

PHOTO_20170816_180000

I took a putty knife to the peeling areas and scrapped off all that was willing to go.  Some areas ended up looking a lot worse but mostly it was just the edges that grew a bit.  A thorough sanding to get off any stubborn remains and then cover in spackle.  After drying there was more sanding, more spackling, and a final sanding.  Currently, it feels quite smooth.  I don’t think, upon feeling, that you could tell there was chair rail or a giant patch.  We’ll have to see if visually it shows through the paint.  However, I am hopeful.  So far I have been quite pleased — and surprised — by how well Behr paint covers.

Moving right along.  The front rooms had this dramatic texture.  It was clearly some sort of spray on texture that was globby and a bit overdone in my opinion.  I’m all for an interesting/textured wall but this was a bit much.  S had the idea to take a power sander to it and that turned out quite successful.  She was able to bust out about 30% one morning and J finished the rest during the week.

And ta da!  A wonderfully spotted wall.

PHOTO_20170816_180043

And a glorious close up.  It is smooth to the touch but neither J and I would be disappointed if some texture shows through the final paint.  A little interest on a plain, flat wall is welcome.

PHOTO_20170816_180029

The last room to prep on the main floor was the half bath.  Return in your mind to the days of the green wallpaper and the monstrosity that remained after I attempted to remove it: Bye Bye, Wallpaper.

Again, it was suggested to us that we consider installing beadboard on all the walls to hide the torn drywall rather than attempt to cover.  S was going to take a stab at repairing it but thought the effort wouldn’t be worth the payout (time consuming and would still show through paint).  Similar to the chair rail, J and I took to Pinterest to get some inspiration for beadboard bathrooms.  We decided a dark beadboard up to the window paired with a white upper wall would look nice.  But again, like the chair rail, J and I wanted to at least attempt the patches.

So here we are, after the first round of scrapping-sanding-spackling:

PHOTO_20170816_180129

We did run into one problem.  We originally used joint repair instead of spackle and it was too moist, causing the paper in the dry wall to get damp and bubble.  So we ended that and switched to spackle which seems to work just as well as it did on the chair rail.  Again, we will see how well Behr paint covers.  I still like the idea of half-wall beadboard to add interest to the small room and to tie it in with the kitchen which will have a beadboard peninsula.  So we will see where the half-bath journey takes us …

Ceilings

Last but not least, we painted the ceilings!  The final ceilings to be painted (for Phase I, the basement ceiling definitely needs help).  Nothing much to say here.  Two coats of Ultra Pure White flat ceiling paint and ta da!  Ten times better than where we started.

PHOTO_20170819_174547

The end.  Stay tuned for the rest of the progress made this week and weekend.

Advertisements

No Mas Vent

The swamp cooler is long gone but the giant vent remained. A reminder of older times I suppose.

But no more. A useless, ugly vent is not something we felt like keeping in the house. So last week, J worked Monday, Tuesday and Thursday graves. With a random Wednesday off and not wanting to get off the graveyard shift sleep schedule, J went to the house to do some late night work.

And ta da! The vent is no more 🙂